Thursday, November 11, 2021

Happy Veterans Day, Dad...And Thank You

 There's a lot of crap out there on social media, and at times I've posted things that probably haven't added much to the greater good. But, there are times when I actually love most of the posts on social media. When are those times?

During holidays.

Today in America is Veterans Day, the 2021 edition. My father's family is well represented in military service. Dad and his brothers served well. I'm always proud to tell anyone who will listen that my dad and four of his brothers all served in WWII, and better yet, they all survived. My father passed away when I was young. It's highly possible had he not, perhaps one of us children may have continued the military tradition. As things turned out, my family's military story ended with him.

As I scrolled through the various social media sites today, post after post sent one singular message: thank you. Many included pictures of flags, or photos of relatives who have served along with their message of thanks. In a way, it helps bolster my faith in humanity. We bicker and fight about trivial things time and time again, but days like today, like Memorial Day, Like Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas, many see issues beyond themselves and thank others for the freedoms they enjoy.

Since beginning this blog back in 2011, I've written something on every Veterans Day and I've included these pictures before. I have few memories of my father. These, and other pictures of my father hold a special place for me. I see a man only eighteen-years old living in a foreign land fighting a war against evil. 

And if I knew nothing else about him, I would know that he was willing to die for people he never met for a cause he felt was worth the price. That is an honorable man. Today we honor and remember him and millions of other men, women, and their families who have done the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment