Sunday, November 14, 2021

Give Thanks...Creativity


 Around 2007 or 2008 my job where I worked was eliminated. I was given another job within the company--thankfully--but that decision was a tough one. Within the organization, I was in a sense banished. It took me a while to get over it, to realize that a person is "not just their job." 

What does that story have to do with a used pair of Vans shoes I bought at Tremonton's newest thrift store for $5 yesterday?

Interesting question...

The ending of a job more than a decade ago began a series of events that ultimately led me to finding and exploring a creative side of life. Had the job not ended, I wouldn't have been placed into another position--one I didn't choose exactly. Had that not happened, I probably wouldn't have made the decision to return to school and get my master's degree. I didn't want to get an MBA or an MPA...no I needed to study something else.

Something creative.

I chose English. Not the most profitable of concerns, but it's a decision that changed my life. Because I earned that degree, I started writing. I was eventually published and came to know dozens and dozens of other creatives...writers, artists, editors, performers. Since that decision to end my job was made, I have experienced amazing things, met amazing people, and produced some stories that have hopefully made others happy.

I noticed something on the pair of shoes I bought at the thrift store. A previous owner wrote a message...simple, using only symbols. I wondered if it was something "the kids" said, something hip those in the know used. Then again, it could just be a clever way to convey a message. "I love you to the moon and back...Heart, letter U, back and forth arrows, and the moon.

Creativity. 

There were so many times I cursed (not really...) those who decided to end my job back then. But, had it not happened, there's so much I would have missed out on. I'm grateful for being able to see that creative side. I'm grateful I chose to join them.

No comments:

Post a Comment