Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Can't Escape Organized Choirs...They're Everywhere


 There's a lot of things I miss. I miss them for different reasons. Many of the things I miss came about because I've gotten older...being in shape, fitting in my clothes, not having body parts ache, my hair. There's other things I miss, though I don't know I'd like them if I had them now as much as I think I would. Prime example...my first car, the 1965 green Volkswagen beetle. I'd probably curse that car more than I would praise it if I owned it today.

The car, along with my hair, are gone and not coming back. Then there are things I miss because of our move. I miss doing plays and having so many opportunities to perform for others. Yes, there are theaters up here--not as many, but some. 

One thing I've missed, be it where we used to live or where we live now, is singing. In college I sang everyday. Even after graduating, I was involved in a choir for a few years, then other choirs here and there. Because of the pandemic, singing stopped, even at church. That was tough. No choirs were meeting, no concerts being given. There's a void of life without music and for those who sing, the void is bigger, deeper, darker.

Last Sunday, I was leaving our services and I noticed a poster advertising a Christmas Concert. I was so happy not only to see that they had an organized choir in our area, but that they were putting on shows. Even though I'm not a part of the group, it made me feel good that others have resumed doing something they love.

I haven't lived in many areas, so I don't know if everyone has organized choirs, but I do know that even at the top of Utah, we've got one. And I'm glad we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment