Thursday, November 25, 2021

Happy Thanksgiving...From The Happy Little Valley


 This morning, I did not get up early and run a 5k or 10k or any k. I also did not meet on a field and try and reclaim some ancient glory of days gone by to participate in a "turkey bowl" football game. I think doing either of those things would result in repercussions of a "serious injury" kind. No, to do those things, I would need training...months and months of training.

Instead, I did my usual. I went on a hike up the hill.

The chill nipped my nose and face as I walked among the dying grass and discarded items one finds on a hillside above a growing community. When I reached the highest part of the hill I could go without trespassing, I turned and took a panoramic photo with my phone. The high clouds and a bit of smog prevented an unfiltered view, but it was spectacular none the less.

We have come to love this happy little valley.

Except, it's not that "little." It's quite large, actually. Maybe the lack of people upon people makes it feel little. That'll change, with time. Even though we have to drive everywhere and those drives take longer than they used to do, it feels small at times.

No, I did not get up and push my body to its physical limits this morning. Instead, I caught a glimpse of an incredible valley, a valley where people have worked and toiled and sweat and bled to battle the elements and grow strong families, and where they continue to do so. Do I regret not doing a run or trying to move a football down a field (or preventing from others doing the same...)? Not at all. The view was worth it.

Happy Thanksgiving from our little family happily residing in this little valley.

No comments:

Post a Comment