Thursday, May 19, 2022

A Kind Neighbor...Doing Neighborly Things


 There are both advantages and disadvantages of working from home. Sure, I work in a small room originally designed for beds and not necessarily desks (kind of a disadvantage...), but it's not a cubicle (definite advantage...). I also have a large window with an incredible views of farmland and mountain ranges...both advantages.

Sometimes, something crosses my field of vision that I find interesting.

Namely, kindly neighbors.

I live in an interesting area. With--relatively, if that's even possible--lower home prices, we're seeing lots of new families move in, but also retirees. It's a clean, safe, and beautiful place to live, if you don't mind wind, that is. One of my neighbors is a retiree with time on his hands and a love of yard work. His yard is amazing, mostly due to the many hours he's spent making it amazing.

Earlier this week, I heard a familiar sound...a power edger. After a while, the sound of the edger increased. I knew what was coming because it's been done before. He had finished edging his grass and was moving on to ours. Our edging-needing area is much smaller than his, and we have an edger--haven't used it yet. Later, another sound came through my open window...this time, a leaf blower. Once he finished his yard, he came over to ours.

Him taking time out of his day to help us out is incredible. It's a very nice thing to do, and I've thanked him each time he's done it--he did the same thing last year, too. Of course, it's easy to wonder why he's doing this. Is our yard too messy? I'm the first one to admit that there's always more I could do to make our yard look better and we do try. But, I seriously doubt he's doing this to shame us or guilt us. No, having gotten to know him, I believe he's helping out because he he's a good neighbor and he likes to spend time outside making a yard (his or ours...) look better.

And that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment