Friday, May 27, 2022

What Do You See...When You Look Up?


 This morning, before my day properly began, I went outside and looked at the sky. Last night, high winds beat against the house. For decades when the winds blew at night we wondered how much damaged was caused in the neighborhood. This morning, I expected little damage and was pleased that's what I found.

The sky, however, was brilliant.

Clouds gathered above the hills. Sadly, they disappeared shortly after. We're hoping for rain this weekend...we need all the rain we can get.

All those years where wind did so much damage, we lived on the side of a mountain. I always loved the mountainside because of the western views. The sunsets were stunning. We loved being able to see Antelope Island, the shrinking lake, airplanes circling then landing to the southwest.

But, I have to say, when I look up now, it takes my breath away. We live at the top of a great valley. To the south, the land opens up, a natural floor that extends hundreds of miles. There are mountains to the east and to the west and to the north. We live where the Ogden/Salt Lake/Provo valleys begin. When I look up now, I have no mountain blocking half our view. The sun hits our house earlier in the day as it rises.

This morning, the skies were full of beautiful clouds, replaced an hour later by blue sky. Tonight, a storm is moving in and we're praying for rain...we need all the rain we can get. I used to look up and see a mountain and tall trees. Now, I'm seeing that incredible sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment