Saturday, May 21, 2022

I Guess It Was Their Time...


 Dogs...are funny creatures.

I suppose all creatures have their moments and because so many of us have dogs, we notice their oddities. We have a poodle. This, by itself doesn't make it unusual, no more than other breeds. If I judge all poodles by ours, then I'd say they are great dogs, incredibly intelligent and full of energy.

Also, our dog has a pretty good life. Since I work at home, there is almost always someone home with him. I can count on two hands the times he's been left alone in the past couple of years. Because he's with someone, we've been lucky enough to not have him destroy many things. I've heard from other dog owners that their dogs like to chew things...books, furniture, and especially shoes. I can understand shoes because of the leather found in many shoes. Luckily, he'd never destroyed any of our shoes.

The same cannot be said for his toys. We buy him toys so he can destroy his stuff and now ours. The past couple of weeks, the dog has gone after a softball and a baseball. They're trashed, so much so, we had to toss them away.

Which, makes me wonder...why did he choose to destroy them now and not months and months before, when we first bought them? When we first game him the balls, he would gnaw on them, but he never ripped them apart. I thought maybe they'd last forever and that they would be a good toy for him. Then, when we were downstairs playing cards as a family, I noticed the dog. He chose the baseball and proceeded to rip off the covering. He made quick work of it, too. A few days later, the softball met the same fate.

I hope he hasn't obtained a taste for leather and that a forgotten shoe may be the next victim. Of course, time will tell. Maybe he had that softball/baseball killer instinct in him all along. Wonder what made him snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment