Sunday, May 29, 2022

This Memorial Day...Things Were Different


For years, my family has gathered at the site of my parents's graves. We'll meet either Saturday, Sunday, or Monday on Memorial Day weekend. There are a few things we do, mostly just stand around, chat, and take pictures. Then, I inevitably post pictures of the gatherings. It's fun to look back and see how much has changed since I began posting pictures.

I'll take pictures of my the grandkids, many of whom have themselves married and now the great-grandkids are among the photos. Then, at some point, my sister, my brother, and I will stand together and someone will take pictures of, "The Taylor Siblings."

This year, things were different.


Last December, our sister passed away unexpectedly. We're not the only family suffering from such a loss. Many find themselves without loved ones at gatherings now. Thanks to small miracles, her headstone was placed only a week ago. Of course, we would have gathered this weekend without the headstone, but having it in place meant something special to our family.

I've always enjoyed our family's Memorial Day tradition, but this year, I dreaded it...not overly, but it was there.  I'm thankful we were able to get together. We met in between rainstorms. chatted, and took pictures. Yes, it was different, and it will never be the same as it once was, but I suppose that's the point of life...experiencing the present and hopefully, appreciating it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment