Sunday, February 26, 2023

Give Thanks--I Thought We Were Done With These...Nope


 Last week my wife and I sat on uncomfortable bleachers and watched teams of teenagers complete in a dance competition...

We thought we were done with all that.

We were wrong.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.

My daughter's been involved in ballroom dance for almost a decade. She's graduated from student to teacher and last week we watched, not her dancing talents, but her teaching skills. She and her boyfriend teach a group of students from Central Utah and it was the dance troupe's first competition.

The kids did great.

When I say "we support our kid's activities," parents know exactly what I'm talking about. If they do sports, the parents/grandparents have spent time on either hard bleachers or uncomfortable lawn chairs. If they play music, you've sat for hours and hours on folding chairs or church pews, theater parents...theater chairs. We've sat and watched as our children/grandchildren hopefully improve their talents.

My daughter stopped competing years ago. People turned to her and her boyfriend to teach their children. Saturday was a start. I'm thinking we'll be attending more competitions in the future (we really should invest in those amazing stadium chairs that make everything better...). 

We're grateful we're able to still support our children in their endeavors. Sure, it's a different type of support, but support just the same. We thought we were done. Silly us.

No comments:

Post a Comment