Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Sorry Mom...Turns Out I Like It


 Yup, looks like I'm not going to follow my mother's footsteps on this one.

Like many in my generation, you probably ate oatmeal for breakfast at one point or another. Sure, we had those sugary cereals (anyone remember Waffalos...) and even half a grapefruit now and then. I guess we ate whatever my mom put before us before we shuffled out the door and headed to school.

I don't remember how old I was, but I distinctly remember a conversation I had with my mom one morning after she placed a bowl of instant oatmeal in front of me and I dug in.

"Mom," I said somewhat casually--perhaps in a smart a-- manner. "How about you get a bowl and we can both eat oatmeal together?" Those were probably not the exact words I used, but the sentiment is the same.

Then my mother said something I've never forgotten.

"Nope--I can't stand the stuff."

I was shocked.

I followed up with why the strong reaction to my suggestion she have some oatmeal for breakfast. She then went on to tell me a story of her youth. My mom lived during the Great Depression. Though she was a child, she remembered the food her mother fed her. She said they ate oatmeal almost every day. She vowed when she grew up she'd never eat oatmeal for breakfast again. I remember thinking if I'd ever seen her eat oatmeal and I couldn't recall a single time she ate oatmeal for breakfast.

Of course, I cannot travel back in time to share the experience she had as a child growing up in Driggs Idaho in the 1930s. I'm 100% sure the food I had for breakfast this morning tasted much better than what she had. It may not have been more nutritious than what she had--I'm sure my food is worse for me than her food was for her. And if I had to eat the food she ate, I'd probably think the same thing.

Sorry mom, turns out I actually like the stuff. Then again, I'd be well served to follow my mother's footsteps more often. She's one of my greatest heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment