Tuesday, January 31, 2023

The Amber Den, LC...Another Example of People Being Creative


 A few weeks back, my wife, son, and I drove to Hyrum, Utah for an estate sale. Last summer we spent almost every weekend seeking out yard sales for treasures. We saw an ad for the estate sale and waxed nostalgic for the "Cheap Hunt" so we decided to give it a shot.

Sad to say, there wasn't much for us.

We weren't interested in the hundreds and hundreds of vinyl albums or the huge collection of DVDs. We weren't sure what we were looking for, but whatever it was, it wasn't there.

There was another person there who seemed more interested in the sale, Dennis of the Amber Den. I saw him checking out the many books on shelves between the albums and the DVDs. Seeing someone interested in books interests me, so I struck up a conversation. Turns out he runs a business of finding and reselling books. I asked if they had a storefront and he said no, but they were looking into it.

He gave me a business card and I took it. I don't know if I'll ever use the services of The Amber Den, but if they open a store, I'd love to go inside. It's fascinating how people are drawn to do what they do. I have no idea if The Amber Den can support a family--I'd like to think so, but I doubt it. It's more like a side gig. As I get older, I'd like to find something I enjoy from which I can make a buck or two. For the seeker of books, it's creating a business around the printed word. Not sure what it would be for me.

Point is, they took a chance. Good for them. The world should be full of such people, and when you look around a bit, you realize, it actually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment