Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Another New Years In The Party Basement...


 Another New Years Eve has come and gone...the same can be said for New Years Day. And, as per our usual since we finished the basement, our family spent it downstairs, around our bumper pool/gaming table, drinking Martinelli's Gold Label Sparkling Apple Juice (and the Cranberry/Apple combo...), along with Christmas treats...

Yes, we know how to party.

Of course, "party" is subjective. Like beauty, it's in the eye of the beholder. 

Years ago, I would see ads for a big New Years Eve celebration in downtown Salt Lake City. This must have been decades ago because I believe they've kept up the tradition for years. All I could think about when I saw those ads was, "Why in the world would anyone want to spend New Years Eve outside in a city located in the Rocky Mountains?"

Obviously, I've never attended such a celebration.

I never thought about how all those people at Times Square in New York City waiting for the ball to drop willingly chose to attend. They were outside in a northern latitude city. I never questioned their sanity. Then again, when you have hundreds of thousands of people jammed into a small space, maybe they generate enough heat to make the decision to celebrate logical.

No, I'm boring. I stay inside at New Years Eve. The last time I think I celebrated outside was years ago when I lived in Denmark. I ventured out on New Years Eve and watched happy Danes celebrate the arrival of 1986. I also saw a drunk man almost get his head blown off as he looked inside a tube of a huge firework to see if it would blow.

Yes, it blew.

No, he was not injured...well, maybe his hearing.

I had a blast this past New Years Eve. God willing, we'll gather again in the party basement on New Years Eve and pull out another board game--maybe next year we'll play Hallmark Monopoly. We haven't played that in a while.

1 comment: