Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Apparently...This Is The Holy Grail Of Danish Cookbooks


Last night my wife and I enjoyed a "hyggeligt" evening with a neighbor couple. We chatted, swapped stories, and best of all, shared Danish food. If you're unfamiliar with all foods Danish (other than pastry, of course...), you can find all you need to know about the topic contained in the pages of a book appropriately called, A Taste of Denmark, by Stig Hansen.

Apparently, it's the Holy Grail of Danish cookbooks.

Our hosts, Pia and Scott, have a copy of this book. It is revered, it is cherished, and most importantly, it is used. My wife and I had not heard of this book so they brought it out for us to get a look at it. They also said that even buying a used copy of the book was pricy. How pricy? Here's a link to an eBay page. You can access the page by clicking: HERE.

In my experience, though not every time, that things cost more for a reason. An average cookbook can cost between $10 - $20. Not this one. I've also experienced first hand that when something is more expensive, it tickles a place deep in my mind that makes me want that expensive thing. I mean, it's expensive for a reason. The best cars cost more, the best food costs more, the best Lego sets cost more, and I seem to want them all. 

I then regain my senses and change my mind. Most of the things I "want" I don't really need.

But, the Danish cookbook, we may have to give that a second look.

 Last night's food was delicious--thank you Pia and Scott. The recipes from last night came from the book. Yet another reason to check it out.

If you're interested in learning more about all things Danish (food edition...), check out A Taste of Denmark, by Stig Hansen. And if you buy it an it's not your cup of tea, let us know...we'll take it off your hands for you. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment