Thursday, January 19, 2023

The New Way To Watch Sports...


 Such is life in the twenty-first century.

At least, in our house.

There was a time when I watched a lot of sports. On any given Saturday I would find myself in front of a TV, or even go to the games in person. It almost didn't matter what sport--I credit ABC's Wide World of Sports for that. 

I mean, when there's only three channels on TV, you watch whatever's on, so we'd watch bowling and figure skating and surfing and alpine skiing and whatever it was they'd show. And we'd enjoy it...

Or, at least I think we would.

I'm getting off the subject. Fast forward several decades and I'm no longer someone who watches hours and hours of sports every week. I haven't completely removed sports from my life--I mean, I check the scores, but NFL, MLB, NBA...don't watch them. I do watch a lot of college sports, however. Take for example, the National Football Championship. I was interested, but not enough to go to a different room to watch (especially after the first quarter...). No, I loaded up the game on my laptop, and watched something else on the living room TV with the family.

This works out well for a few reasons. One, I can be a "casual fan." This works great, especially if it's a game that isn't that interesting. Plus, I can engage with the family, watch what they're watching. There are few sports programs my family even watches so watching by myself isn't as fun.

As sports goes, we're entering the most boring time of the year. Even if I watched the major leagues, all that's on right now is basketball. But, soccer's right around the corner, then that forever-long time to wait until college football begins anew.

I don't know how long I'll be watching games on the computer with the sound off while other things are happening around me...maybe a few years. Then again, if I disconnected from sports all together, maybe I could get some other things done...

Like writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment