Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Fourteen Years...Kind Of A Waste


 Every once in a while people will post their Twitter Anniversary on their Twitter feed. I suppose there's a way I could have looked up which day I joined--I had no idea how long I'd been on the app. Today, this little nugget popped up on my account...

Fourteen years.

That's a long time.

The funny thing, I thought I was late to the party when it came to Twitter. I didn't really understand it (still don't, in some ways...), but I stayed with it. I found out quickly that to "succeed" on the app, the more snarky the better. I don't do snark well, so I haven't taken the app by storm. That's okay. It looks like too much work to be huge on Twitter.

Truth be told, I would have deleted the app years ago if it weren't for the positives. One of the first things that blew my mind with the app was the immediacy. Case in point, it was summer and our state (and others...) were experiencing a high rate of fires. Most were in the mountains, but some were in neighborhoods. Unfortunately, a fire broke out in a Salt Lake Valley suburb. I logged onto Twitter and obtained instant information, even down to the streets where the fire was heading and where it had already been. It was SO much faster than the local news. That type of information delivery is invaluable. 

I also began following (and being followed...) by many authors. I like Writing Community Twitter, and Sports Twitter. I follow some Political Twitter, but all have their downsides and some people on the app are absolutely insane...literally.

Fourteen years ago today, I logged on for the first time. I know I should spend less time on the app and other social media platforms, or better yet, cut it out of my life completely, but I don't. It's an addiction. I know it--you know it. It is fact.

And, I know after writing this, I'm going to post the link to Twitter and other sites...

And the whole thing starts all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment