Sunday, January 29, 2023

Give Thanks...For Pioneers


 Today, my wife and I traveled to the next major city to the south, about twenty miles away. We left in the afternoon because we wanted to get home before the sun set. I like traveling with my wife. It's a good time for us to just talk--homeschooling our children for the past two decades plus, it's one of the few times my wife and I can spend time together until the kids go to sleep.

This afternoon one of the topics we discussed was our ancestors...

Specifically, the pioneers that settled the intermountain west.

Today was the kind of day that makes me appreciate just how amazing those people were.

This morning, we got hit with snow...the biggest storm we've experienced in the short time we've lived here. Last night's storm caused them to cancel church with the instruction for the congregation to stay home and stay warm. Because of our side gig, my family broke out the snowblower and shovels and we set out to clear the driveways, walkways, and approaches of snow. About halfway through our assignment, the wind hit. It was, in a word, miserable.

I admit, I am soft in many ways. Because I was born in the greatest country and during the greatest time in the history of the planet for humans, I've not known true hunger. I've not known extreme conditions. I've not known poverty, or any of the other ills that plagued humanity throughout history.

I am truly blessed.

Today, as we drove south, my wife and I discussed what it must have been like to travel in a covered wagon or pulling a handcart in these conditions. It hurts my brain to think about it. When we were out in the elements earlier today, we had on waterproof coats, hats, gloves, insulated clothing. We could retreat to a heated car or home at any time. Once done with shoveling we did exactly that. None of these things were available two hundred years ago. 

I'm convinced our ancestors who risked literal death to make a better life for themselves in a new world are superheroes. They were just built different back then. I'm grateful for their sacrifices. I pray I can possess a fraction of that courage. If we all did, the world would be a much better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment