Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Truckless In A Truck-Filled World


 I've been posting a daily picture on social media for over thirteen years. Every once in a while, a photo will generate some conversation on the interwebs. I like it when that happens...it means something I did caused others to take action, even if it's only posting a simple comment.

A few weeks ago I left church and noticed something funny...my little Subaru dwarfed by large pickup trucks, in a row, in the church parking lot. I should admit something here. I actually set up the picture--not completely--but subtly. When I pulled up to park, there were three trucks already backed in and waiting for their drivers to return after the meetings were over. There was one spot in between two of the trucks, so I backed in. I laughed when I came out...several other trucks had lined up.

I snapped a picture...

And posted it.

It was funny, but the photo also shows something about where we now live. I joke that we're "truckless in a truck-filled world." It's not completely true--not everyone owns a truck--but it certainly feels that way sometimes. Trucks are incredible machines. They serve an important function in our society, especially up here. I don't bemoan anyone who has a truck. Heck, I'd like to be numbered in their ranks, but for now, I love seeing Donk, my little Subaru parked wheel-to-wheel with the big boys. Now, Donk can't tow a travel trailer, or pull other trucks out of a ditch, but it'll get me home on snowy roads and do it using less gasoline.

Yes, my little car looks strange among the giants, but for me, I believe it belongs.

No comments:

Post a Comment