Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Watched Some Jai Alai The Other Day...A Bit Disappointing


 The other day, I was doing some channel surfing. I happened upon a sport I've only heard about, a sport that mildly fascinated me as a child, only because I used to love to read The Guinness Book of World Records.

Yes...the book of records.

These were pre-internet days, you understand. We had to take whatever interesting entertainment that came our way. The book of records transported youngsters to far away places full of interesting record-setting people. I distinctly remember pictures of sports figures playing Jai Alai. It was the big scoop attached to the player's arms that made it cool. Under the picture was the world record associated with the sport...

Jai Alai...the world's fastest sport.

It made sense. Basic physic tells you that an arm extension will increase the speed of whatever the arm is throwing. 

That was the extent of my knowledge of Jai Alai...

Until last week, when I finally saw the game in action. I've got to say, I was...underwhelmed.

For years I imagined a sport with lightning-speed objects flying all over the place in some Tron-like spectacle. The equipment almost guaranteed it. Plus, there's no place I knew of that even had a Jai Alai court--another reason there was a mysterious aspect to it all. The reality...it was more like handball, racketball, or squash but in a bigger room. After a few moments, I was bored.

Bummer.

Of course, my observations are from a novice. I'm sure those familiar with the sport find it enjoyable. I had built it up in my mind to be something it wasn't--not really the sport's fault. I should probably give it another chance. Who knows...maybe I'll like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment