Monday, February 20, 2023

War Of The (Tiny...) Worlds


 We thought they were fruit flies. They acted like fruit flies, looked like them, too. For the longest time we searched and searched for the source, but couldn't find it...we don't have a lot of fruit laying about. Then, we figured they're gnats.

Gnats.

Little buggers.

With fruit flies if you don't have fruit out, they can come from kitchen drains. Well, we can clean those and eliminate the problem. The problem with gnats is we don't know where they're coming from. I did a little research and found gnats can breed in damp soil. We have several indoor plants and I like to keep them well watered. The plants are thriving so I keep watering them. 

That is, until I read up about the gnats. I've reduced the water so there's not a lot of damp dirt...still got the gnats. We dug up an outdoor bug zapper and moved that inside...still got gnats. I even got packing tape and put it inside the potted plants around the roots...still got gnats.

There are other options out there. A good friend found an electronic indoor pest remover. We might get one, not sure yet. I saw another product at our local hardware store so we're trying that. I keep hoping things will get better. 

Maybe some Venus Fly Traps...

Or a lizard.

We've got to do something...we're losing the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment