Thursday, September 21, 2023

Dear Facebook Marketplace...Just Let Me Find What I'm Looking For


 I came across a local yard sale on Facebook Marketplace last weekend. I showed my wife some of the photos posted with the listing, and I made note of the address.

A few hours later I was asked about that particular post, so I thought I'd check Marketplace to pull up the post and provide the information. Problem...

There's no way I could find it.

Darn algorithm. 

You'd think it would be easy to find. I first checked the posts that were listed for the day. It wasn't there. I then tried several searches...nope. I even put in the exact headline of the post as best I could remember and I got nada. Even if I didn't remember the post headline exactly, it should pull up the post. It is so frustrating, mostly because I had forgotten the address (that's on me...). You'd think they would want me to find what I'm looking for. I guess not.

Maybe it's not the algorithm's fault. Maybe it's something else. All I know is that if I don't "Save" it, it'll be gone forever. Today, I did another internet search for yard sales in Tremonton. It pulled up a sale we went to last month. Another question--why is that even on there? I'm guessing the person who posted it did not take it down, and I don't believe if I showed up this Saturday, it would be a "fun" Saturday for the people who listed the sale in the first place.

I don't think I'm asking for much...a simple search engine that will allow me to find something I saw only hours earlier on a particular phone app.

Then again, maybe that is asking too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment