Wednesday, September 13, 2023

You Can Always Spot A Reader...

Last week I met a reader. Now, I didn't know she was a reader when we first met...there are so few around nowadays. However, after talking with her for a minute or two, it became evident.

She loves to read.

What gave it away? My friend told her I was a writer. I've been introduced as a writer before. Most of the time the news is met with indifference--not disrespect, but they might think it's cool to be a writer. The written word isn't that important to them. No, she stopped and asked some follow up questions. 

"What do you write?" 

"What are your favorite genres?"

"What do you like to read?"

That last question is interesting. It's assumed writers are also readers. I have been more of an active reader in the past--it's something I need to do more. She is correct, though. To be a successful writer you need to be an active reader.

I told her I got my masters degree in English and to do so, I read a lot of book, mostly classics. She is currently reading some classic literature. I asked if she liked reading fantasy or speculative fiction. She said she's not read all that much, but would like to read more.

I had the perfect book for her.

The next time I saw her, I dug up my copy of D.H. (Dave) Butler's amazing Witchy Eye. If you've read it you know the level of writing found in its pages. 

I don't know if she'll like it--she may hate it. I hope not. Since she's a reader I'm almost certain she will appreciate the writing, even if it's not her cup of tea. I've never met anyone who has read Dave's books who didn't respect Dave as a writer and craftsman and wordsmith.

Hopefully, she'll finish the book soon. I'm anxious to know what she thinks. If she likes it, there's two more book waiting for her in the wings.

For a reader, that'a heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment