Thursday, September 7, 2023

What Is It With Accordions...?

A few weeks ago, while at an estate sale, they had an accordion for sale. It was smaller, kind of beat up (when I picked it up, the front plate next to the keys fell off...) and they wanted $100 for it. I asked because there's something about accordions I like. I used to like them more. 

Back in the day, my sister and I played the accordion and took lessons. I even participated in a concert of fellow accordion-playing children at the U of U Special Events Center (the present-day Huntsman Center...) with special accordion legend Myron Floren, November 5, 1919 - July 23, 2005. Years later as a teenager, I traded my accordion for a bass guitar.

My accordion was nice. It would most likely cost several thousands of dollars today. The guitar, by comparison, probably wasn't worth more than a few hundred.

Makes me wish I'd have kept the thing.

Then again, nope.

Knowing me, it would just sit there waiting for someone to pick it up.

First I saw the accordion at the estate sale. Lately, I've been seeing accordions pop up on my social media feeds. I'm sure it's the algorithm because I clicked on one. It makes me with I had one. Maybe I'd pick it up from time to time and try and re-learn the keys and buttons. Maybe I'd even be brave enough to pay it at social gatherings. 

A few problems with that...even if I picked it up and practiced, we really don't go to social gatherings.

Still...it would be cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment