Thursday, September 28, 2023

Happy (Belated...) Birthday, US Air Force!


 Last week, on September 17th, the United States Air Force celebrated a birthday.

I've always had a fasciation with the air force. I credit a few things for this. First, I grew up a few miles from an air force base, Hill AFB, specifically. I remember seeing, then hearing fighter jets scream overhead...F-4s, then F-16s, now F-35s. Though I never seriously considered enlisting, if I did I think I would have tied joining the Air Force.

The second reason the Air Force interests me is because for years--decades, even--I thought my father served in the US Air Force during World War II. This was perhaps the greatest reason why the Air Force fascinates me. Now, if you know anything about the United States involvement in WWII, you know that the US Air Force did not exist during the war. Before the Air Force existed, air corps belonged to the Army, Navy, and Marines. My father was assigned to the Army Air Corp.

For a child growing up without a father, I think I was drawn to things associated with him. Whenever I see WWII footage or see a picture of a B-17, I think of him.

Happy birthday, US Air Force. The world has entirely changed since you were born. I wonder what you'll see in the next seventy-six years.


No comments:

Post a Comment