Saturday, January 26, 2013

A Tale Of Two Parking Situations...


Something happened to me that has never happened in the 32 years I have lived on the this street. There were too many cars on our road and it prevented us from getting to our house. The reason for this can be attributed to two things. One, snow from the the huge snow storm we had 2 weeks ago is still on the road, and two, our neighbor is now the bishop of a single's ward and they occasionally come over to hang out.

It was obvious our minivan (with seating for eight...) could in no way maneuver between the cars on the street and so we had a decision to make. We could let everyone out, give the kids the garage door opener so they could get in the house and have my wife go to the neighbor's house and nicely ask one of the drivers to move his/her car so we could drive by and get our van home...

Or...

We could do what someone else chose to do when my wife and son went to meeting this morning in another town. That neighbor called the cops and complained because one of the people at the meeting parked their car on the wrong side of the street. Apparently the car was not blocking anything or parked in front of a fire hydrant...it was just parked backwards on the street.

We chose the first option. Sure I had to wait in the car an extra few minutes after getting home late because we had just watched a great production of "Arsenic & Old Lace" with my kids and in-laws (thanks Rita for the tickets!) and I wanted to get home. As I waited I thought about how we could have called the cops, but it was really no big deal. It wasn't my neighbor's fault and it only took a few extra minutes to get home. I can only hope I'll act this way all the time when faced with similar situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment