Thursday, January 24, 2013

Just A Little Freezing Rain...


I know that in some areas the weather phenomenon known as freezing rain is part of something people deal with in winter. 


But not where we live...


Watching the Weather Channel they'll show video of cars sliding down hills or people slipping on a frozen sidewalk and I never really understood just how bad it could be. And then we woke up and all the things we've seen on TV were taking place on the side streets and interstates where we live.


Luckily I left for work before the ice had  gotten too thick. Others were not so fortunate. Many friends relayed stories of overconfident drivers in large 4 x 4 vehicles sliding uncontrolled on the frictionless Utah roads. This is how my car looked after my shift at work today.


When I got home it was warm enough to allow me to clear the driveway of the frozen stuff. It's amazing how several cups of ice melter, gravity, time, and a metal shovel can all work together. And as cool as the roads, driveways, sidewalks, mailboxes and outdoor Christmas lights encased in ice is, the sheen that covered the several feet of snow that is still on the ground from the Gandolf blizzard that his us exactly two weeks ago from today was even cooler (figuratively, that is...).


We don't get freezing rain that often and for that, I am glad.


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were safe. It's amazing, isn't it, how 4x4's have no better luck on the ice than anyone else? Well, except they fall harder ... ;)

    We had an ice storm a few years ago that covered everything in an inch or so of ice - even the twigs and branches of my bushes. The storm was so bad, it broke may of the converter boxes and people were out of electricity for days - my house for six days, because as soon as they fixed the electricity, a tree fell on the lines. It was beautiful, though. I'm glad to have seen it, but I wouldn't want to experience it again.

    ReplyDelete