Sunday, December 1, 2013

Submission Deadline...The Day After


About a week ago, I had given up on completing my steampunk story for Xchyler Publishing's latest anthology. I was only about 1/3 done and I was in one of those places where it just wasn't flowing. I had a general idea, but something was blocking me. I'm pretty sure many of you can relate, be it a writing project, or some other exercise. You know what you want it to be when completed, but getting there is the tough part. 

When the story first came to me, I was excited. I had the beginning and some of the middle, and a vague idea of how it would end all in my mind. And so, I began writing. Many writers take time and organize their thoughts before they began any story. Some outline the entire thing, breaking down chapters and even paragraphs, all in an effort to improve their productivity, but more importantly, to help ensure success.

I don't do any of those things--I just jump right in.

That might explain why many of my projects are as of yet, unfinished.

I knew the deadline was closing in on me and I decided that I would either cram and finish the story or give up. A few days ago as I was preparing to go to work, it came to me, the mushy middle and a way to end the story. That's all it took. I spent the last few days of November putting together my story and once I was finished I sent it away.

I've been so fortunate enough to have two of my short stories chosen for anthologies published by Xchyler. Each time I send in a story I have no idea if it will be chosen. The same can be said for this one. Time will tell. Maybe next time I could try a little planning first. Knowing me, I probably won't.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck to you! I couldn't get mine together in time, :/ but maybe I can retrofit it into their next steampunk competition :)

    ReplyDelete