Friday, February 21, 2014

Me And The Fair Cruel Maid...


Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s I was a member of an exclusive group, a group of university singers. I remember auditioning with Dr. Edgar Thompson at the old LDS Seminary building just west of Pioneer Memorial Theater on the University of Utah campus. I auditioned because I had a friend from high school in the choir and he asked me if I wanted to go to London the next summer.

Dr. Thompson heard me sing and said I could be in any of the school's choirs (I believe there were three at the time...). I said I'd like to go to London and he said, "okay."


His decision changed my life. I stayed in that choir for four years, went on tours to Great Britain, Washington D.C., and Europe, and eventually met my wife because of the choir. I met and sang with some of the best people I've ever known.Today I ran into one of those people, Michelle, a.k.a., The Fair, Cruel Maid.

Now, there is not now, nor has there has there ever been anything cruel or maid-ish about Michelle--quite the opposite. And she's way above "fair." On our GB tour we sang several songs with lyrics provided by the Bard, William Shakespeare. In one, we sang of the fair, cruel maid. Somehow (I think it was Bob's fault...) she came up with the nickname and it stuck. It was so much fun catching up today, if only for a little while.

Tonight I looked through some old pictures of those days and I found a couple of group shots. Those were good days, fun days, days that won't return, but days I wouldn't trade for the world. So, I guess it's true...I was slain by a fair, cruel maid.

No comments:

Post a Comment