Saturday, February 22, 2014

These Are A Few Of My Favorite...People


We had visitors today, my aunt and uncle. They were down for a wedding and they stopped by before they headed north. It's difficult for me to express just how important they have been in my life. We don't see them as much as we once did. That's a shame. They are the patriarch and matriarch of a great family and they've raised patriarchs and matriarchs to follow in their footsteps.

After my father passed away decades ago my mother's siblings helped our family in many ways. Our family drove the three hundred or so miles north on Interstate-15 several times a year. We went for our vacations, to camp in the Tetons, and to attend funerals. Growing up it was my second home, a place we were always welcomed. 

Years have passed. We've all attended more weddings, baby blessings, missionary farewells, and unfortunately, more funerals than I can count. We love to see them as often as possible, except, of course, at funerals. Even then we enjoy their company. 

We chatted, caught up, they wished well wishes for my son as he leaves to go to an area where they used to live in California, and then they got in their car and headed north, making a trip they've made hundreds of times before. Hopefully, when the temperatures where we live rise to uncomfortable levels, we'll drive those same roads and take our family north to be with them again, to relax, to feel the kiss of cooler air on our cheeks, to be with family, to be with two of my favorite people.

No comments:

Post a Comment