Thursday, February 20, 2014

Thank Heaven For Friends Who Inspire...


Last week I spent time with some amazingly talented friends and we talked about writing, short story writing, novel writing, ebook/self-publishing writing and screenwriting. The words were flying! (see what I did there...?) I learned a TON and it's hard not to be inspired when you surround yourself with others who share your passion.

The last panel I attended was one on screenwriting. I consider myself very successful considering how little time I've actually spent writing screenplays. Of course, I've only got 20 or so projects either started or in my brain. I used to dedicate more time to screenplays in the past. Last year I focused more on short stories.

But I left the conference determined to increase my efforts writing scripts.

And this week I have.

AND IT'S BEEN A FRICKIN' BLAST!

I know my latest project needs a LOT of help and may never fulfill the true measure of its creation and one day become a film, but at this point, I don't care! I'm about 40 pages into a comedy. The first act takes up 20 pages so I've got another 30 pages or so for the second act. I have a good idea where I think the story will go. Now, I've got to put in the time and finish it!

If I hadn't spent time with friends, I'd probably be trying to work on one of my novels. They're fun, too, but I forgot how much fun screenplays can be. My goal for March? Getting the first draft ready for the critique group. Wish me luck!



1 comment:

  1. I feel the same way! I'm almost done with a first draft of a new screenplay. Can't put the stupid thing down.

    ReplyDelete