Friday, May 9, 2014

Author Spotlight...Candace Thomas

 

  Last year I attended my first convention, Salt City Steamfest. It was there I met several authors, one of those authors was Candice Thomas.

Candace has two books out now, Vivatera and Conjectrix. She's also a published short story author. Her story, The Hawkweed is included in the fantasy anthology, Moments In Millennia, all three published by Xchyler Publishing.

 VivateraConjectrix20700182

Since that first conference I've meet so many amazing authors! And, unfortunately, I haven't had the time to read their works. I have started budgeting reading time into my daily routine. Hopefully, I'll be able to read Candace's books. I really want to.

Having said that, I'd like to introduce you to her and what she's written. Also, she's a local author who has proven she has what it takes to be a successful writer, or in other words, the ability to stick with a project until it's done. I'm also trying to help her out because as good of a writer she is, she's a better friend. I asked her to write a little about herself and her books, and here's what she had to say!

Vivatera

Vivatera is a young adult fantasy/adventure. I like the epic aspect of fantasy. I like complicated stories with characters directing the decisions. In writing fantasy I wanted to have clever, strong female characters as the leads, since that is my target audience and that is what I love to read. It centers around a girl named Naomi, who has a secret branding on her neck, a six pointed star, which she always hides behind a scarf. Vivatera has really fun, vibrant characters that complement each other’s weaknesses. It’s tremendous fun to write. 

  I like writing fantasy, because it lets me explore world building, which I love to do. I like to think about the rules which govern it and its history. I think I have more fun doing that than actually writing out the adventure. I think of the world as a character, and by understand its rules, it has a voice. And I love adventure and I waste no time and start the reader out running. First chapter... ZOOM! 

Conjectrix

Parbraven is a world of complicated elemental magic. Magic is not a good thing to have in this world. It works like a poison, or a virus that will never leave. When you die, a ghost of yourself stays within the world, never allowing you to die. They are trapped. In Vivatera, Naomi discovers this magical world that she never knew existed, but in the Conjecxtrix I explore the haunted side of Parbraven and how the dead seek a peace beyond. Naomi is the pivot between both worlds. It’s thrilling to see it unfold. 

About me: I love everything that expands my imagination—anything with a twist I never expect. I have always wanted to be a writer, but never thought it would happen. I wanted to try and I’m so glad I did.

If you'd like to read any of these books, or pick them up as gifts, please PLEASE go to her website, CandaceJThomas.com (you can reach it: HERE) and they can be ordered. Or, if you're ever at a convention or bookstore and you see her signing books, go up and introduce yourself. She doesn't bite and she's really nice. Thanks Candace for the info!

Photos used without permission from Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4190734.Candace_J_Thomas?from_search=true

No comments:

Post a Comment