Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day, Missionaries And Skype...


Each religion has its own unique customs. And ours is no exception. One of the oddities associated with the religion to which I adhere is the sending out of missionaries. Other religions do the same, but I don't know the rules of their missionaries or the missionary families.


I do know the rules when it comes to our missionaries, partially because I was a missionary decades ago and because our oldest son is currently out in the field (missionary field, not a corn field...). So, as I check Facebook on this Mother's Day, the posts are filled with families gathered around a computer screen, talking to a son or daughter that's currently far from home.

Today was the first time we participated in the Missionary Mother's Day Skype Call. It was a great experience. We got to see him, hear him, ask him questions and just enjoy his company, albeit for a short time. And my son's grandparents dropped in and they were able to participate, too. I was also able to carry around the laptop and show my son the cats, the dog, the newly painted deck and the new house being built across the street.


Things certainly have changed in the past 30 years. When I served my mission, a portable computer capable of transmitting audio and video signals in real time was the stuff of science fiction. I believe we could call home every once in a while, but that was it.

Rules say missionaries can call home twice a year, on Mother's Day and Christmas. Looks like we'll be doing the same thing in only seven short months.

No comments:

Post a Comment