Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Jeff Shaara's "The Steel Wave"...A Book Review

2047408*

When looking for a book to read at the local library, sometimes (most times...), you're at the mercy of others. Meaning, if others have checked out a book you want to read, you've either got to wait for the book to become available, or select something that's available now.

Last week Jeff Shaara's The Steel Wave was available so I checked it out and finished it today.

When I checked it out I didn't realize in only a few days the 70th anniversary of the event in which the book is dedicated takes place. Had I realized how close we were to the anniversary, I might have even searched for a book on the D-Day invasion of France during WWII. I'm glad I checked this book out--there's so much I don't know about that war.

This is the second Shaara book I've read. The first, Gods and Generals, taught me so much about the Battle of Gettysburg during the American Civil War, so much that I didn't know. I actually loved the book so I was excited to read this story.

If you've never read a Sharra book, it's a little different. The author takes real events involving real people, but takes liberties as to some of the things they say and emotions the characters may or may not have felt as they progress during the story. If you're okay with that, you'll enjoy the books more. During the Civil War story the way these things were presented didn't bother me so much. But in this book it proved distracting.

There are possibly hundreds if not thousands of books written about the D-Day Invasion and the impact that had on the war. This is the first one I've read and I believe it's a good place to start. If you like to have the story seem more like a "fictional" story, you'll like the way this book reads. I'm glad I chose it, especially with the anniversary coming up. I'll certainly understand better what happened those many years ago.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/2047408.The_Steel_Wave

No comments:

Post a Comment