Tuesday, October 6, 2015

A Chat With Sean Astin...Just Me And Five Thousand Fans


If there was one celebrity I would have liked to meet at this year's Salt Lake Comic Con, it would have been Sean Astin. Of course, it would have been an honor to meet many of the celebrities that were in town a few weeks back, but Sean would have been my choice because of one film he did back in 1990.


Memphis Belle


I usually steer clear of the celebrities at the cons. Many people pay good money and spend a lot of time in line to get an autograph, and/or a picture with the stars. I get in for free and get to talk about writing. And if I'm hanging around the celebrities, they have less time for the paying public. In fact, in the six Salt Lake Comic Cons I've attended, I've never once attended one of the star's panels.

Until this one, and it blew my mind.


Before the panel I ran into the person moderating. He and I were on a Harry Potter panel at the last event--great guy (the moderator, not Harry Potter, though I'm sure he is too...). We spoke and he asked me what question I would ask Mr. Astin if given the chance. I said I would ask about his experience filming Memphis Belle. The moderator wrote down my question and I thought it would be cool if it were asked.


Turns out it wasn't, and I'm fine with that. Mr. Astin's other films garner much more attention. Still, it would have been interesting to chat with him for only a moment and discuss the film that I connect with on a personal level. If you've followed this blog at all you know my father was a tail gunner on a B-17 crew over England. Yes, it would have been fun to chat about that.


The panel was a lot of fun. The star talked about filming The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and he also discussed his charity work. The crowd went nuts when he was introduced. I hope he enjoyed his time in our little town. I was glad he came.

No comments:

Post a Comment