Saturday, October 24, 2015

"Beyond The Wail" Reviews...Tirzah Duncan's "Of Mice And Monsters"


My last week of October is going to be madness. And when I say madness, I mean, completely crazy! I'm going to be working all day at my regular job, and since the amusement park where I have my part-time gig is open every night the week before Halloween, I'll be doing that too.

Doing two jobs I can do, but my biggest hurdle will be keeping my daily blog going. I had an idea on how I can keep writing every day and helping out some friends. Xchyler Publishing has just released their latest anthology, Beyond the Wail: 12 Grave Stories of Love and Loss. I'm going to write a short review of each short story. For me, it's a win-win!

I've already highlighted one story, The 'Grim' Reaper, L. K. McIntosh's great story. So, I'm already one down. The story for this particular blog post is Tirzah Duncan's Of Mice and Monsters

This first story of the anthology is a perfect way to introduce the theme of "love and loss." Duncan's first-person present story introduces us to Benjamin, a man who just lost his love to a suicide. As Benjamin moves on with his life, he's haunted by an cryptic text found on a scrape paper.

Soon Benjamin finds Tina and a relationship begins. As they grow together, we learn more of Benjamin's past, things we need to know, but would rather not know.

I don't want to give too much away, except I loved the way Duncan paced the story, not revealing too much too quickly, but allowing the reader to see the twists and turns of these two people. And yet, I never knew how it would turn out.

This is the first story of the anthology. Now I've got two under my belt with only ten more to go. It's a great way to get ready for Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment