Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Fan Letters...From Big And Small


Yesterday I received an e-mail from an author. I asked for a quote on my book Chaser. It was something she didn't have to do, considering how busy she is and how, as far as authors go, she's at one end of the success spectrum and I'm at the other. It was very kind of her to do.



Today in the mail I received a letter of thanks. When the book came out, I had a request to send a copy to my niece's twin girls. They were kind enough to write my family a personal note. It was adorable.

If you want to be an author and continue to be an author, you need to be as much a marketer as you are a writer. I've noticed this holds true for those just starting out and for those who have several books on bestseller lists. So when I consider these two items, one from a world-famous author, the other from a couple of kids, I can use the first for marketing purposes, put it on websites and social media and it might turn a few heads which--in turn--may sell a few books. The second, it may not turn any heads, but it melts my heart.



When you're a new writer, you get to know other writers and you take notice when things happen to them like book launches, writing conference invites, and even getting fan mail. You wonder what it's like. I'm hoping this writing adventure will continue for me. And if I continue writing in the middle-grade genre, there may be more thank you letters like the one I received today. Because, after all, isn't that what writing is suppose to be all about?

Thank you Sherrilyn for the kind words! Thank you kids for the beautiful letter. I've had a great couple of days!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry the thank you letter was several weeks late! But so glad you enjoyed receiving it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies needed--loved it!! Thanks so much!

      Delete