Friday, April 20, 2018

First World Problems...Missing The End Of The Game


I feel I should preface this post by stating we live in amazing times. Earlier this week a thought came to me as I drove to work. I have a car and can travel down a road in relative safety at a speed of 70 m.p.h. (the legal speed limit on that particular road...). In my car I was traveling faster than any human being born before the twentieth century had ever traveled.

And that's just one aspect of modern living. When I got to work I spent the day in front of a computer where I could do the work in one day it used to take a hundred employees weeks to do.

What does this have to do with missing the end of a basketball game?

Good question.

Remember back when a televised event took place and if you weren't in front of a TV, you missed it? It wasn't that long ago. Then a genius invented a VCR, and if you could understand it, you could record the event and watch it later.

But the VCR can't hold a candle to what we have now. Wednesday night the Utah Jazz professional basketball team played the Oklahoma City Thunder in Game 2 of the first round of the NBA finals. Because we live in amazing times, I set the twenty-first century version of the VCR and recorded the game. Of course I checked the score after the game and was thrilled the Jazz prevailed. And since I had recorded the show, I knew I could catch every second of the back-and-forth, the battles down low, the thrilling ending.


It didn't quit work out that way for me.

Because the game went beyond the allotted time, my recording stopped with exactly two minutes left with the score Jazz - 97, Thunder - 93. In those two minutes of gameplay Utah would score six more points, Oklahoma City two.

I missed those two minutes.

First world problems.

I knew how it ended and if I really wanted to, I could track down the last two minutes on-line. The fact that I can even do that is mind-blowing when you think about it. Yes, we live in amazing times. And that fact that I was unable to watch the last couple of minutes of an amazing game watching amazing athletes is really no big deal.

When you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment