Thursday, April 19, 2018

When The News Crews Show Up To Your Work...


I pulled into the work parking lot yesterday at 6:20am. 

A news truck was already there.

I stopped watching local news years ago. I suppose it's good to be informed, but how many stories of suicides, bank robberies, domestic disputes turned ugly, hit and runs, embezzlement cases can one take? The answer--less than the number of stories out there. It just got to the point that when I watched local news, I lost all faith in humanity. Granted, they're supposed to report on "news," which, by definition, should be events out of the ordinary. Hopefully all those awful things are out of the ordinary.

Since I don't follow local stories, I had no idea why the news truck was there. I forgot about it when I got to my cubicle and began working. It wasn't until a co-worker came in and told me about a shooting that took place the night before did I take interest. By that time, a few other trucks had arrived. A UTA bus had a couple of windows shot out the night before. Thankfully, no one was hurt. You can read up about the incident from one of the local news stories: HERE.


Guns have been in the news a lot lately. This is not a post to condemn or excuse them. I can say had I been walking to the train station at the moment when whoever did this pulled out a gun and shot at the bus, I would have been scared to death.

I don't know if this event will make me follow local news more--it's possible. Still, I'd rather believe that people--in general--don't kill each other, don't steal cars, don't rip off older members of their church congregation, don't do inappropriate things to each other. Maybe ignorance is bliss after all.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I haven't watched or listened to the news regularly for several years now. I feel that I should be more aware, especially of political events, but I just can't do it every day any more. I've switched to the classical radio station, and whatever I pick up just by checking my email every day.

    ReplyDelete