Friday, April 6, 2018

Pictures Of Me...Back When I Had Hair


When we designed our house, we planned for a game/play room in the basement. And because of that, we put up a wall of photos. There's pictures of my family, my wife's family, and pictures of our kids. Years ago, the boys' bedroom got too small for three so one moved his stuff into the basement. It's now his bedroom. We didn't take down the pictures, though.

Truth be told, it's a little creepy to have those photos in on our bedroom wall. But my son hasn't asked to have them removed, so they stay.

This morning I was checking out a photo collage, the one with pictures of me growing up, and I noticed something. I noticed hair.

I have lived longer without hair than I did with hair. Right around my 20th birthday my already thin hair began to just go away. Not knowing my birth parents or their history, I had no way of knowing I'd be bald at a young age. And since I really had no options as far as saving my hair (mostly, the cost...), I just accepted it. Sometimes I miss not having hair, but it's been so long, I don't really remember what it's like. It was fun checking out those pictures today.


Of course, I had no hair as a one-year old, or younger than one-year old. I'm not sure when the picture of this happy little kid was taken.


I'm pretty sure I was in grade school when I posed for this shot. And I'm pretty sure my mom made that shirt.


A took accordion lessons as a kid. Since I lived during this time, bowl cuts were quite the rage. With my accordion and stylish hair, I was the personification of cool.


This picture is so 1980s, even though I think it was takin in the late 1970s. I wanted that feathered, Shawn Cassidy look. I don't think I ever got there, though.

Included in the collage were pictures of me in my 20s. I didn't take close-ups of them. I did notice that in every picture, I was wearing a hat. I was outside in all of them, so wearing a hat is practical as well as fashionable. My kids--even my wife never saw me with a full head of hair. Since they were okay with it, I was, too. Funny how a bunch of pictures can make you think about things.


No comments:

Post a Comment