Saturday, April 7, 2018

Posted A Picture From "UHF" Not Knowing How Many People Loved The Show...


A few days ago I needed a "Pic Of The Day." Actually, I need to find a picture to use everyday. Sometimes I find the picture early--other times it's a last-minute thing. While I was watching a movie, I realized I hadn't found my picture yet. Luckily for me, the movie I was watching was a classic, Al Yankovic's UHF.

I took the picture and posted it.

Then people came out of the woodwork on Facebook to let me know how they felt about the movie.

Turns out, they think about the show about the same way as I do.


UHF is not a high mark in cinematic excellence. In fact, it's a little slow. Then again, my wife and I watched Ferris Bueller's Day Off the other day and that's another film that's slow. Comedies have evolved over the years and movies we hold up as hilariously funny are still funny, but something's changed. And since the movie's not changed at all, it's us that's changed.


Here are some scene's from the movie. If you're a fan of the flick, you know I could have taken screenshot after screenshot, plastered them on this blog post, and still not gotten close to capturing all the great moments in the film. It is, after all, just a collection of sketches. But it's done well, and one of the characters is named Philo. I hope the character's named for the inventor of television, Philo T Farnsworth, a Utahn. Philo in UHF was played by Anthony Geary, another Utahn best known as General Hospital's Luke Spencer.


As I watched, I remembered parts and re-discovered things I had forgotten about. I don't think I'd want to watch the show over and over again. It would take away some of the charm. But re-discovering it after a long time, it's like catching up with a childhood friend and remembering just why you like them so much.





No comments:

Post a Comment