Sunday, May 20, 2018

Hanging Out...With My Immortal Works Family

  
Last night I, along with a couple dozen other people, gathered at a home in Provo, Utah and we discussed the world of publishing. At least, our little corner of it. The Publisher: Immortal Works. The fact that I'm involved, albeit in a small roll, is an honor.


The purpose of the gathering was to celebrate Aften Brook Szymanski's book, Cheat Code. I haven't read it yet--one of the ones I have on my list. Seeing the book and listening to the author are testaments to the hard work and determination of several people at Immortal Works, most notably Jason King, James Wymore, Holli Anderson, and many others who are working hard to do all they can to make this new publishing concern a success.

I have experience with small press publishers. I had several short stories chosen by Xchyler Publishing. It's hard for me to express just how grateful I am to Penny Freeman and everyone at Xchyler who took chances--not just with my stories--but with taking on the world of publishing in general. They're the reason I almost jumped out of my skin when I found out the first short story I ever submitted was chosen for publication. That's a moment I hope to never forget.


Immortal Works is almost two years old. They've already published almost a dozen books with several in the pipeline. Listening to Aften talk, I heard in her voice and her words that excitement and amazement you get when someone believes in something you've created, so much so, they put in time and resources to create a way for others to experience the art, too.

A few of us spoke about Immortal Work's future. No one knows what is to come. Everyone in that room hopes the company has a long and healthy life, but if it doesn't, Immortal Works has given me and several other authors a feeling of pure joy knowing that our words, our stories, our worlds and characters will live on, from our minds and become part of our readers. Last night I got to hang out with those people. It was an honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment