Wednesday, May 23, 2018

More Than Just Toys And Action Figures...


"You should come over to my house and see my Star Wars collection," my friend Carson said to me a few months ago. His family, along with my daughter and I, were part of a community theater production of A Christmas Carol last winter. I've done shows with Carson before. He is definitely worth the price of admission.

My daughter had a dance performance in my friend's neighborhood and we had a little time to kill. I brought a book I wanted to drop off at his house so my wife and I swung by.


Now, I had seen the Star Wars collection last month. I was, in a word, impressive. Both Carson and I grew up when the original Star Wars ships, figurines, and cards. I had most of the cards, but that's about it. Things were expensive back then. Of course, if you had those originals today, you'd be sitting on a gold mine now.


It's been decades since he and I played with the toys and showed our friends the cards. And thanks to a new generation (or even generations...) of fans, the toys and everything else are back. Carson has amassed quite the collection. He showed my wife and I the goods and there were so much more we didn't see--it would have taken too much time.

I know the things in the display case or in the storage boxes are more than just plastic and metal. They represent the feelings we all experienced watching the films, living the story through the characters, the sights, the sounds of the film. I could tell my friend loved collecting them, and having us over to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment