Tuesday, May 29, 2018

This Is What Happened To The Contour Composites Building...


A little over a year ago I stayed overnight at my brother's house. I was attending a writer's conference about ten miles from his house. I didn't want to drive the sixty miles back and forth for the two days. He and his wife were nice enough to put me up.

I don't get a chance to just sit and chill with my brother. We're both so busy, so I enjoy the opportunities staying overnight at his house affords. After dinner, we will usually sit in his basement and watch a show while I write in my journal and get ready for bed. My brother finds the craziest reality TV shows, shows I've never heard of, never knew existed. One of these shows centers around a group of Utah guys who build diesel trucks. It's called Diesel Brothers and it's filmed a few towns over from where I live.

"These guys are from Utah?" I asked my brother.

"Oh yeah, Bountiful, or Woods Cross, I think," he said. The outside shots definitely showed it being filmed in Davis County. 


Back when I was in college, I used to work in Woods Cross. My friend got me a job doing finishing work on fiberglass parts, mostly parts for military aircraft. The business was called Contour Composites. I didn't work there long, maybe a year or two. Needless to say, it wasn't for me. I can't remember what job I took after quitting Contour Composites, but it was something.

So as I watched Diesel Brothers, more and more of the location of the diesel mechanics shop looked familiar. I was sure their show was close to where I used to work.

Fast forward a few months and I found myself driving on Redwood Road in Woods Cross looking for my old place of employment. I found out why the diesel shop looked so familiar--it's the same place.

I have no idea when Contour Composites shut down. Now, instead of making fiberglass parts in the building, local mechanics and businessmen assemble huge toys. I remember liking the show, as far as reality TV shows go. Watching a bunch of friends create amazing vehicles looked like a lot of fun. And the fact that I once worked under the same roof was pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment