Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Well, Someone Checked Out My Little Book...


Tonight, I stopped by our community's second largest library (it's also our community's smallest library...) to see if my book might still be there.

It wasn't.

And I think that's a good sign.


Back in August of last year I dropped off my short story collection Speckled. A few weeks later, I stopped to see if the book was still there. Nope--it was gone. I thought at the time that it was either borrowed, or someone tossed it. I don't know if anyone decides which books are worthy to be included in the Little Free Library. I suppose my sense of inadequacy thought the book might not belong. It was self-published and maybe they have a rule against that.

Fast forward about eight months and I dropped off another book, this time, Chaser. This book's different. It's a novel published by a real publisher! It's been a few weeks since I dropped this book off so I thought I'd check again.

Same result.


I'd like to think the book is currently being enjoyed by a middle grader (the target audience...), or a middle grader's older/younger siblings as well as their parents. One can dream. Of course, the book might not be coming back to the Little Free Library and I'd be sad if that were the case. I wrote the book to be read and enjoyed by as many people as possible.

In each book, I wrote a little note. On August 16, 2017 I blogged about dropping off Speckled. You can read that blog post: HERE. With this latest book, I again wrote a note, but I asked for the reader to send me an e-mail with their thoughts. I haven't received any e-mails yet, and I may not get any feedback. Still, it would be cool to hear back from someone.

One can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment