Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Warriors Professional Rugby...Don't Completely Understand It, But I Appreciate It


You've heard of the Utah Jazz, the Salt Lake Bees, and Real Salt Lake, but there's another professional sports team in Utah.

The Utah Warriors Professional Rugby team.


Rugby...I admit, I don't understand the game--the general idea, yes, but not the small details, the intricacies, those little things that make you appreciate a good game between talented players. I learned about the team a few weeks ago. Last Saturday the Warriors played the San Diego Legion. The local boys did not win the game, unfortunately.

Like I said, I don't know much about rugby. It resembles American football in a couple of ways. The ball is the same shape, and the team tries to advance the ball across the goal line. They pass the ball and they kick for additional points.


Of course, there are differences, too--the biggest being no pads or helmets. I didn't see any forward passing, either. Even though there are things I don't understand, I can definitely appreciate the athleticism, the will to win. These guys were not "phoning it in," on either team. It looked tough, it looked brutal, it looked more than a little dangerous.

As a kid, I played little league baseball, football and soccer. When I watch grown men and women compete either professionally or on school teams at these sports, I understand the game, the rules, watching a great play. I'm not feeling that with rugby. I suppose it just takes more time for me to get familiar with the rules. 


I'd like to think I'll one day go see a professional rugby match. If I don't, it won't be because I don't want to. RSL has been in Utah since 2005 and I saw my very first match in person last year. No, we don't get out much. But if I do, I'm sure I'll be in awe of the talent on the field, the drive of the players, and the spirit of live competition. I wish the Utah Warriors well in their first year and to hopefully many years to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment