Friday, June 22, 2018

Blogging...At The Village Inn


When I pull up my blog stats, I see that I have successfully posted 2709 blogs editions. This one will be 2710. And I believe I've written every one of those blogs either on my old MacBook Pro laptop or the MacBook Pro I'm using to type this now...

...all except two.

There were two blog posts where I hit the "Publish" button on a device other than my Mac. And both those times I had no other choice but to use my iPhone.

The first time I did this, it was a nightmare.

It happened last September. I took a job at our local amusement park for their Halloween season. Around 11pm it became apparent I was not getting home by midnight. I have a few rules about my daily blog. A big rule is I need to post between 12:01am and 11:59pm, Mountain Time. We were cramming to get the show on its feet before we opened and I was going to be there for several hours after midnight.

No problem--I had the Blogger App!

Blogger App to the rescue!

Except the Blogger App was total garbage. Of course, it could have been my phone, but I think it was the app. Another rule I have is to include a photo for every blog post. I pulled up the app, clicked a new post, added the photo, then began to write. The problem I ran into is after every single word I typed, the program crashed so I'd have to re-open it, go through the process of starting over (because it wouldn't allow me to save anything...) and try again. I finally was able to crank out a couple of sentences and published the blog. When I got home--well after midnight--I cleaned it up and it turned out okay.


Fast forward to Wednesday night. I was helping out for the upcoming Fyrecon convention and I found myself at 9pm about thirty miles south of where I live. I thought I would have time to write my blog post until I was told two things: 1--the group wanted to get a late dinner, and 2--I needed to drive an extra fifty or so miles after we were all done with dinner.

That's when I took out my phone to try and post a blog again. Turns out, the Blogger App is no more.  I had my laptop with me, but no internet access, so I had to access my blog via the Chrome App. As others ate and conversed, I sat at the end of the table at the Village Inn on Redwood Road in South Jordan and posted pictures and wrote a short blog post. No crashing, no maddening thoughts.

I hope I won't have to use my phone to blog again--the MacBook Pro is like driving a Ferrari vs. a skateboard. But, I'm glad I was able to do it and keep the daily blog going, for at least another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment