Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Rehearsals...Putting It All Together


Tonight a group of people will come together in the basement of a theatre and try to remember everything we thought we once knew. We're running a complete act--something we've not yet done--and I'm a bit nervous. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one.

We've been rehearsing for several weeks, alternating the learning of music and choreography. What's amazing is that by the end of each rehearsal, I feel confident in what I've learned. How quickly that confidence vanishes when both disciplines are combined. I mean, I know I'm getting older, but I've also done more shows so you'd think that process of learn/retain/perform would get easier.

That doesn't appear to be the case.

It seems like every other show I do pushes me, makes me work harder and harder. This will be one of those shows. The thought of running a complete act is daunting. It's like writing a first draft of a story. You know it's not complete, not polished. You know there's adjustments that can and must be made before it can be brought before a reader, or an audience. And the final product needs that first draft, those practices to make it as good as possible.

Yes, tonight I'll be together with a couple of dozen others hoping for the best, but knowing there's a long way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment