Thursday, June 7, 2018

Wilford Leach's "The Pirates Of Penzance"...An Absolute Classic!


The first time I watched Wilford Leach's The Pirates of Penzance was back in high school, just after the film was made. There were many things I forgot about the film, but the things that stood out to me were Kevin Kline as the Pirate King, former teen heart throb Rex Smith and singing sensation Linda Ronstadt as the romantic leads. I had just gotten involved in musical theater and I was blown away at the performances. I mean, how can pop stars be so good?

How naive was I?


I watched the film again today. My daughter and I have been cast in Centerpoint Legacy Theatre's production of The Pirates of Penzance running from August 3 through September 1. The movie's a perfect storm of brilliant writing, incredible music, and a magnificent cast. And the fact it was written in the 1800s makes it that much more impressive. If you've never watched it, you should definitely find it and check it out. The way these talented singers, actors, and dancers perform the intricate lyrics--especially George Rose's rendition of I Am the Very Model of a Modern Major General. And throw in Kline's, Lansbury's, and Smith's Paradox is a wonder to behold.


And if you've seen the movie in the past, I recommend you see it again. It has aged incredibly well.


Our rehearsals have just begun. From what we've heard, we're in for a lot of fun, and listening to the beautiful interplay between music and lyrics, when you start with fantastic material, you're off to a great start. If you're in the area this August, I recommend you check out the show. Now, I just have to memorize the words, the dances, and figure out how to do the material justice. It's just so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment