Thursday, June 28, 2018

Dusk...And The Dancing Dragonflies


As tonight's evening walk came to a close, we happened upon a swarm of dragonflies. They swarmed because of another swarm of smaller flying objects. 

Gnats.


We ended up standing on the sidewalk as dozens of dragonflies danced above our heads. It was mesmerizing. I knew I couldn't capture the awesomeness with my cameras, but I tried. I took several short videos, even a time-lapse. But it was one of those "you had to be there" moments. You could feel the wind move as the bugs buzzed by your head. And on more than one occasion, the sound of dragonfly wings crashing into each other could be heard.


As we stood and watched, a neighbor stopped a nearby chore and came over to chat, drawn by the lure of the dancing swarm. Soon my son and his girlfriend joined us and we all stood below the feeding frenzy, transfixed by the food chain in action.


I've been joining my wife on her little walks around the street whenever possible. I bring with me my iPhone and my Nikon each time, and each time I've found something interesting to capture. Tonight, it was the bug's turn to entertain and fascinate.

No comments:

Post a Comment