Thursday, June 14, 2018

Enter The Fringe...A VERY Cool Short Film


When you know a lot of creative people, you may run into a problem. There's just not enough time to watch, to read, to listen to all the amazing things they create. I've got a stack of novels to read and that's just from the authors I know personally.


Even though writing a book is not easy and it takes time, a person can think of the story, plot it out, write it, and publish it themselves. I suppose someone can do the same with a film, but if they want more than two people in the movie, they'll need help.


A friend of mine, Nathan Riddle wrote a story called Enter the Fringe, and it's been made it into a short film. Today I finally watched it (it's on Amazon Prime...) and it was great--so many good things in their short ten minute production. Plus, the driver of the very cool Mustang is Jared Morgan, an actor with which I've been fortunate enough to share the stage--good guy.


The gritty feel of the dystopian world comes through in the arid cinematography. The lighting in the seedy backroom office creates the proper tone, and the scene where the haggard man takes matters literally into his own hands was as gruesome as it was wonderfully crafted. It gave the creeps.


Yes--there's lot crammed into the film, even the special effects, though used sparingly, were beautiful and convincing.


Though it's been over ten years, I worked on a short film, a story I helped write. I was there for the filming and saw how much hard work it takes to get even a few seconds of action. The trick is to not let the audience see any of that--they only need to see and experience the story, what happens. Enter the Fringe gives us a glimpse of a terrifying world, a world I wouldn't want to live in, but a world I'd love to see more of. Hopefully, one day, we all will.

No comments:

Post a Comment