Saturday, June 16, 2018

"The Italian Job" (The 2003 Version)...One Of My Favorites


I can't remember the first time I watched the 2003 version of The Italian Job, but I know it wasn't in the theater. I picked up a copy of the show--quite possibly from Blockbuster. I do know, however, that from the first time I watched it, I thought it was a great flick.

Channel surfing this afternoon I watched the ending--for me, the best part. It still holds up.

One thing I liked about the show was its originality. Of course, I heard some time later that the show was a re-make. I caught part of the original a few weeks ago. I suppose it was an exciting movie for its day, but after seeing the re-make, the original was not in the same league. 


The show has great shots, the pans of the Italian mountains after the heist, the boats on the canals of Venice, the overhead views of L.A. It's beautifully filmed. Years after I first saw the film I met Joey Wartnerchaney, a visual effects and imaginative genius. He worked on The Italian Job. I don't know what he did or how much he contributed to the film. I'll have to ask him when I see him.

There's obvious issues with the show, as with so many action-packed films. We don't see how they safely take the gold out of the city, other than they do. No one seems to notice a stolen cable truck for at least a day, and even the greatest planner could not anticipate a total lack of people being on an underground train platform as three cars fly by jumping in front of the slowing subway car just in time. But these are little things. I'm sure I didn't notice those things when I first watched the movie.


I did, however, come away with a love of Austin Minis. Ever since I saw the film, I've wanted one--not enough to actually pay for one, mind you. But it would be fun. Just like getting revenge of a scumbag who killed your friend by recruiting the daughter of the murdered friend, hacking into L.A.'s traffic system, putting several Californians and tourists in real danger, and blowing up a street wouldn't be at least a little fun, too...

But I wouldn't do that, either.

No--it's make believe, but each time I watch it, I'm drawn into the story. It's just a well-made film and it's one of my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment